Friday, January 20, 2006

Apple Tree

I have always wanted to grow apples. I love canning apples: apple pie filling, applesauce, apple butter, I even made my own apple juice one year.

Anyway, I finally decided to try growing them. The Coastal South is not an ideal location for trying this. But, I had a coupon for a plant company and they have a lifetime guarantee to either give you a new plant or your money back if things do not work according to your satisfaction.

So, I decided - it really isn't that much of a risk. It is a tree that has five kinds of apples on one tree so that it self-pollinates the other types. Big help if you don't want to buy five apple trees!

I am not counting on getting any apples for the first several years - but it will be so hard to wait! I just hope that it survives and produces apples!

This article will be a big help - any other tips?

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Me too. When we get our own land I want to plant several dwarf apple trees,and some other types of fruit trees too. We will probably get some of that down before we ever build. At least, thats our dream. I've never made apple juice, but I do all the others. I also freeze them. Yummy!!