Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Vanilla Wafers


Since our little darling seems to think that vanilla wafers are one of the only foods she can munch on, I decided to try to make them from scratch instead of who-knows-what-is-in-them from the store! Here are the results:


1/2 c. powdered sugar

1/3 c. sugar

1/3 c. shortening

1 egg

1 tsp. vanilla

1 1/2 c. cake flour (I used all-purpose)

1 1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 Tbsp. water

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. Cream together first five ingredients

3. Add the flour and baking powder. Add water and continue mixing until dough forms a ball.

4. Roll dough into 3/4" balls and flatten slightly onto a cookie sheet.

5. Bake 15-18 minutes or until cookies are light brown.

Makes about 50 cookies.

* David and I both agreed these were yummy and tasted like the "store-bought" kind. Emily likes them, but doesn't eat as many as she did when they came from a box - a benefit in and of itself! :)

PS: I did not change any settings on my blog, but noticed that everything is double spaced - does anyone know how I can correct this?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't look double spaced to me? Oh, and Noah saw the cookies and said "great, now I'm HUNGRY!!"
My kids eat ginger snaps like they're going out of style. Any good gingersnap recipes?
Paige

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

I wonder if you put your homemade cookies in Nilla Wafer box if she would eat more of them? (I guess some might consider this deceitful...) Based on my own experience with toddlers--I sometimes think that part of the fun in eating is pulling things out of a container.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Oh my, that really made me laugh to put them in the Nilla Wafer box! But, it actually might work! :) I'll give it a try, thanks for the tip!

Mom said...

Oh! I was just thinking the other day "I wonder if there's a recipe out there for vanilla wafers!" And here it is! Thank you! Can't wait to try!

Jennilee

Anonymous said...

Vanilla wafers are pretty cheap, they sell them at the dollar store. But I LOVE that you know what goes into these! :)) No weird chemicals! I'm going to try them! Thanks for the recipe :))

Liz