Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Don't Give Up!

Galatians 6:9, "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."

I read this verse last week and it was just the encouragement I needed in the midst of starting to feel discouraged in mothering. It was considerably harder to stick with my goals of limiting Emily's TV. I got easily frustrated with her desire to help in her own way. I have hardly used my prayer closet since setting it up. Lots of things making it easy to be discouraged.

Doing good can be tiring and make us feel weary. But, look at the incredible promise of a harvest - which is conditional on us not giving up! Thank You, Lord, for this beautiful promise and great transfusion of courage from your Word! May it be the hope and strength I need through relying on You to do Your will today.

Take heart! Look forward to the harvest! Don't give up!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful scripture to start my day off with.

I myself become weary of doing good. I let the tv babysit far to often. Sometimes I dream of living back before there were tvs. As much as I like tv I think it would be so peaceful without it. We don't have a tv where we stay for vacation every year and I never miss it.

Blessings
Lisa

Monica Wilkinson said...

I have been thinking often of the families who lived before there was TV - it was no temptation for them because they had never heard of it. A simpler life, indeed!

Susan P. said...

What an encouraging and uplifting post! Thank you for posting this today:)

The Frugal Shrink said...

Monica, I know that you get tired and discouraged like all of us do. But I just wanted you to know that you inspire me both creatively and spiritually. :) Reading your blog is something I look forward to, and I appreciate hearing about your "downs" as well as your "ups".

Monica Wilkinson said...

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words! I am so blessed to have such sweet friends! Thank you, Tessa and Susan!

Anonymous said...

I only pop in on your blog occasionally (if I read all the blogs I really like every day I'd never get up from the computer, no less post on my own)but I have been following your TV limiting experience.

You said that you are getting frustrated with your daughters "help". I can relate to that myself. But I was wondering, does she play on her own much, or is she always trying to help because she always wants to be right there with you? I found that after I had turned off the tv for the bulk of the day most days, my two kids (admittedly 3 and 5) spend a lot more time playing with each other and on their own either in the den (which is very easily supervised from the kitchen-our house isn't very big) or in their rooms.

Just wondering if that would give you a bit of a "break" from the help if she isn't already doing that. . . .

Monica Wilkinson said...

Jenn - thanks for your thoughts! She is helping to be with me - I am really struggling with the fact that she is not playing by herself (granted her sister is 3 months - so it is totally by herself) when we are home. When my husband gets home, she is much more willing to play alone. But, during the day when it is just us girls - she whines and mopes a lot. Today has been very difficult as she seems just not to listen and obey. I'd appreciate hearing more of your ideas on this if you have any to share! Thanks again.