Monday, December 04, 2006

Hanging of the Greens

Yesterday afternoon, I did one of my favorite traditions in decorating! Hanging the greens and decorating our porch! We always purchase our Christmas tree at Lowe's and I take advantage of their free trimmings pile - this is so wonderful! They are going to throw these away, and you don't have to purchase anything to take some.

So, here are my free decorations put to good use:

When my parents were here for Thanksgiving, my Mom and I went to this great store looking at all their Christmas decorations. I saw a door swag that I loved for $68! So, we looked closely and I made the above (very similar) version for zero! I used a wire hanger for the base, wired on evergreen branches and made a homespun bow from my fabric stash. Then I hot glued on some pinecones that I picked up while at Grace's house (actually SHE picked them up - thank you, Grace!) and wired on the old red lantern. I love how it turned out and especially that it was free. Around the door frame, I hung an evergreen garland (not out of real greens) and twisted white lights through it! So welcoming and inviting!

I always love to tie some greens to the two rocking chairs we have on our porch - just lay out the greens and tie on with twine. The red pillows work perfectly, though they are there all year!

This little maple syrup bucket is easy to fill with sprigs of greens and tie a bow around! I love it's greeting at the front door and have another bucket inside the house filled as well! Smells great too!

I also always put greens on both sides of our mailbox. Tie on with twine and make a cute fabric bow from scraps! When I was out there doing this, I was hoping it would cheer our sweet mail lady!

This picture is dark - but, I also tied a few greens to Emily's red wagon! So, when we're out for a walk she will be festive too!

Looking forward to reading all of your ideas as well!

5 comments:

Susan P. said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Everything looks so festive and I bet it smells wonderful, too! I think I will be making a trip to Lowes today, I didn't know they offered free greens:) Yay!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I never thought about the mailbox- good idea!
Tracy Nightingale

Anonymous said...

Looks great! You won't believe it, but I had a whole post ready for today about making bows from fabric scraps. You beat me to it : )

Monica Wilkinson said...

Susan: I loved seeing your ideas too and am looking forward to more of your Open House! Mmmm, I can just smell the cookies and hot chocolate!

Grace: Isn't it fun? Thanks for your help in creating it! Thank you, my friend.

Tracy - thanks for your sweet words!

Oh, Meredith - I'd love to read your ideas! :) Great minds think alike, right?!

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

Your door swag turned out awesome -- I like it even better than the one in the store, especially for the price!! :)

All of your other decorations look great, too -- Dad and I both smiled imagining Emily riding about your neighborhood in her decorated wagon!

Love you!
Mom