Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Family Mail Boxes!



I saw this a long time ago and thought it was such a fun and lovely idea! And, ever since, my Mom has graciously been helping me search for the metal boxes to copy it!! Well, they were not easy to come by - but eventually found on clearance at Jo-Ann's. Since they did not all match - I spray painted them all black. Then, I found a strip of magnet that I had gotten on clearance (which I intend to use for making a chore chart on the fridge one day) and cut it in sections. I wrote one of our names on each section and just placed them on the front of the mailbox!

Thank you, Christy, for the wonderful idea!

Each evening as I plan my to-do list/schedule for each day, I plan to put something in Emily's mailbox or at least plan what I'll do the next day.

Here's our list for this week:

Monday: library book - a trip to the library to sign up for the summer reading program
Tuesday: a sheet of stickers and a picture to paint
Wednesday: tennis shoes and snack - a trip to the park
Thursday: apron and spoon - help make brownies
Friday: sandals and pail - trip to the beach!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a great idea. I have 5 children. This would also be a great way to slip in a list of daily chores for them to get done. Also when I want to write a special little note to them. I love this idea. Once we get moved I will began my search to find boxes. I just love you blog. It has inspired me.I started my own. Find that all my friends love to see what I am doing. Have not posted pictures as of yet. Gotta get some batteries!! Thanks again for such an inspiring morning. Jenny

Anonymous said...

Cute and I love how you have planned items to coordinate with what is going on each day. Visual items are so great for toddlers!

Susan P. said...

Monica, you are such a creative lady and a wonderful Mommy!!

Lisa said...

My husband and I use this idea for ourselves. We have a mail box with a little flag. For example if my husband had some constructive criticism for me he can write it down and put it in the box. I will then read it and pray about it and try to work on fixing it. It is also for positive comments as well. "I love you's" and "lets make some time for us". The great thing about writing something down is there is no tone in a letter. If either one of us is really frustrated with the other person it helps to write it down as opposed to talking sometimes. Talking sometimes leads to an argument. Communication is very important in a marriage. This is what works for us. May not work for everyone though.

I like the idea of having some for everyone in the family. I think I will start looking for some of those and put them up in my kitchen.

Blessings
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I saw this same thing a few months ago and have been on a search for the perfect little mail boxes to hang in our home! I cant wait to start my little family wall.

*carrie* said...

Monica,

These turned out so cute! I hope Emily has fun checking her mail each day.

love, me

Charlotte Cushman said...

Monica - I love this idea... I have no idea how to make it work for 8 people without renting a post office... any ideas? char :)

Jthemilker said...

Darling idea. I hope someday we can do this too. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Monica!!

We've had so much fun with ours. The challenge has been to keep up with putting something in the box on a regular basis. Your plan sounds like a good one. We use our mailboxes in spurts ... I'm not as organized as you are! :-)

Extended family members now know about the boxes and send things or bring "mail" when they come to visit.

Char - What about just one big box for everyone ... and let members "check" the mailbox for personal mail? Or have one mailbox per bedroom and place the boxes outside the bedroom doors?

Anonymous said...

Dear Monica,

I'm glad to see how these turned out -- using magnets for the name tags was a good idea! I like the idea that someone shared about family members sending things to put in these -- I may do that now and then! :)

Love, Mom