Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mitford Moment: Read Poetry Aloud

Yes, can't you just hear Father Tim reading Wordsworth aloud to himself, his huge dog or to company?! Here is one he reads in the book, just to get you started ~ let's try it - read it aloud!

"It is a beauteous evening, calm and free,
The holy time is quiet as a nun
Breathless with adoration; the broad sun
Is sinking down in its tranquillity;
The gentleness of heaven broods o'er the sea:
Listen! the mighty Being is awake,
And doth with his eternal motion make
A sound like thunder, everlastingly.
Dear child! Dear girl! That walkest with me here,
If thou appear untouched by solemn thought,
Thy nature is not therefore less divine:
Thou liest in Abraham's bosom all the year;
And worship'st at the Temple's inner shrine,
God being with thee when we know it not."
~ William Wordsworth

My favorite poetry is the book of Psalms! Any other favorites out there?

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Since you already took Psalms, I'll go with my 2nd choice. Shakespeare always moves my soul. That man was definitely a craftsman with words!

lora k said...

I love your poetry, but the picture of the cabin brings back memories for me. Last Dec. my husband took me to a cabin for our anniversary, that looks so much like the one you have posted. You can see a picture of it here. It was a small cabin, but cozy and sweet. So, the picture already gives me a good feeling, which makes what I'm reading even more special.

Mary Ann said...

I love Psalms too, but also really enjoy reading the book of Ecclesiastes. Ann Kiemel is also a favorite of mine.

For silly and absolutely non-spiritual entertainment, I really like the great rhyming poetry of Dr. Suess.:-)

Jthemilker said...

I love love love the Psalms. The church that I grew up in sang Psalms exclusively (instead of Hymns). When I read them I hear them. And I've convinced some of my lady friends to join me in studying some Psalms for an upcoming Ladies Bible Study. I'm delighted!

Ecclesiastes? I just read that... it's good, but such a roller coaster of emotion.

Anonymous said...

I had never read these Mitford books but your words about them sparked my interest and I checked out "At Home In Mitford" from the library. I love it! It's very calming and relaxing. I read a chapter or so before bed and I am able to sleep. There is always something in there that reminds me God is with me. Thanks for the recommendation!
Barb J.
www.homesteadblogger.com/findingcontentment