Thursday, July 26, 2007

Bake Over

This is such a fascinating idea created by Mary Jane Butters of Mary Jane's Farm. She has created a deep 9" skillet and a recipe for you to create any number of meals and desserts from. So, when I saw the biscuit mix that my Mom had on hand and learned she also had the Bake Over pan - I really wanted to try it while we were at her house.

This was so yummy! And, we just kind of decided as we went along what sounded good together. The wonderful thing about her products is that they are all organic and great for taking on a camp out as it is all measured out for eating on the trail (or in the comfort of your very own home).

Here's the general idea: saute your choice of vegetables, meat, beans, fruits, etc... in 2-3 Tbsp. oil. Stir in cheese. Prepare biscuits according to package or make from scratch. Roll into an 9" round and lay over top of goodies.

Place entire skillet in oven and bake at 425 for 20 minutes. Flip the contents upside down onto a plate and serve.

So, what we used was Mexi-Corn, black beans, cooked and diced chicken, cheese and onion. YUMMY!

If you love the simple and homey "Farmgirl" ways, you will love her book! Mom, thanks for sharing! I loved this meal!

5 comments:

Wendi said...

Sounds simple! I will have to give something like this a try. I love one dish meals.

I will put her book on my wish list. The "farm girl" in me would love to read it. I always wanted to marry a farmer. Now I make do with my little garden and some country traditions.

Stephanie said...

That look so yummy. I'm wondering if it would work in a regular cast iron skillet? I'm going to try that. :)

Anonymous said...

It was tasty, wasn't it? I'm going to try to have a bakeover once a week -- a bakeover night like crockpot night. :)

Love you,
Mom

designsbynana said...

I've so been wanting to try this! Now you've said it really works, I think I will.

I'd love you to check out my new blog - I've started an Etsy store with a friend - and the blog links to my store. Please let me know what you think ;0)

If you don't mind, I'll link my new blog to yours...

Chrissy (from Winterpast)

Lisa said...

Hi Monica - This is Lisa, I used to work with Carrie at NWC...remember me? Anyway, I love your blog and just started one myself :) I had to comment on the Bake Over...I'm a HUGE fan of Mary Jane's Farm and have always wanted to try one of her bake overs! Glad it turned out so well for you guys! I really want to visit her farm someday...wouldn't that be the best!!