Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A Cozy Breakfast!

It has finally cooled off here and I am soaking up every drop of the cool weather! I love the cozy feeling inside with the heat on and have been listening to Christmas music!

I made this for breakfast and thought I'd share the recipe for anyone who might like to try it. Emily said, "Yummy breakfast!" and "Delicious!" - so it was an obvious winner for her!

Also, I made this the night before and put it in the fridge and then baked it when I got up the next morning, worked great.

Spiced Walnut Coffee Cake

Cake:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
6 T. margarine or butter at room temperature
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 c. flour (I used 1/2 c. whole wheat and the rest all-purpose)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 c. buttermilk

Topping:
2/3 c. flour
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. white sugar
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I used cinnamon because I didn't have 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice)
6 T. cold margarine or butter
1 2/3 c. chopped walnuts

Glaze:
1 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. milk

For the cake: Cream together butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Add baking powder, soda and pumpkin pie spice. Alternately add flour and buttermilk. Spread 1/2 off the batter in a greased 8x8 pan.

Topping: Cut together all ingredients except for the nuts. Stir in the nuts after cutting the rest together. Note: I left the nuts out so Rachel could eat this with only two teeth she does well, but nuts would be tough. Sprinkle 1/2 the topping on the batter.

Spread the remaining batter and then top with the rest of the topping. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes. Drizzle with powdered sugar glaze.

Recipe from: Family Circle 11/30/04

10 comments:

Mary Ann said...

This looks good! I am really enjoying the cooler weather as well-fall is here! Yeah!

Katy said...

That looks so yummy!

Wendi said...

Looks and sounds yummy! I like that you can make it the night before and just bake in the morning.

jayedee said...

oh mercy! that sounds so lovely!
and just the thing for cool fall mornings too! (now if we would just get some cool fall mornings lol)
of course you know i have appropriated your recipe and am hoping you send a little of your weather my way as well!

Carmen at Old House Homestead said...

Looks yummy! We've had Christmas music playing, too! I love it!

I have a great recipe I think you'll like for baked oatmeal that's very yummy on a chilly morning...you can check it out here...
http://sixblessings.blogspot.com/2007/10/yummy-recipe.html

Hugs!
Carmen

Carmen at Old House Homestead said...

Oops...the whole address didn't get on there...here it is broken up a bit ...you have to put into one line.

http://sixblessings.blogspot.com/
2007/10/yummy-recipe.html

Carmen

Anonymous said...

Looks good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

God bless :)

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to have to try this one! Sounds like a keeper!
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Amy O. from GA
picketfencemom

melissa said...

Monica - just wanted to let you know that I made the recipe this morning - my hubby loved it with the addition of the walnuts. I must admit that it was a little too sweet for me, but was still very good.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Melissa!

I'm glad your hubby loved it! Maybe you could leave the glaze off part of it next time and it would not be as sweet? Just a thought... Have a great day!