Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mmmm - Homemade Rolls!

I made these delicious rolls last week for a family Christmas dinner we had here before heading out of town. We love the King's Hawaiian Rolls from the grocery store and I wondered if I could make them. These were very good - next time, I would cut the pineapple juice down a bit and add milk or water in place. But, they were delicious and made great sandwiches with leftover ham the next day!

2 (1/4 oz.) packages active dry yeast (2 Tbsp.)
1 1/2 c. warm pineapple juice (I think I'd do 1 cup next time and 1/2 c. water or milk)
1/2 c. sugar
1 c. mashed potatoes
2 eggs
1/4 c. melted butter
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 - 5 c. flour
1 Tbsp. melted butter

Combine yeast and pineapple juice until dissolved. Let stand until foamy - about 5 -10 minutes.

Add sugar, potatoes, eggs, 1/4 c. butter, salt and 2 - 2 1/2 c. flour. Mix on medium speed about four minutes.

Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff batter. Cover with a slightly damp towel. Let rise in a warm place, until doubled about 1 hour.

Divide dough into equal portions and place in prepared baking dishes. Cover with a towel. Let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake until rolls are nicely browned.

I divided mine into 24 rolls, but some of them were pretty big, I think this would make more next time!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

These rolls look so WAY YUMMY!! I might just have to make me some TODAY!!!!! Thanks for sharin-tammyp

Katy said...

Those look delicious!!! :)

Wendi said...

We like those rolls also. I might have to whip up a batch next week in time for leftover turkey and ham. Yum!

asnipofgoodness said...

We love those rolls too. I will have to try that!
Have a wonderful trip, and safe travels. I will continue to pray for you all!

elizabeth said...

Oh my word we love these rolls too! Thank you so much for sharing your recipe - I do love to make bread and rolls. :)

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

They look amazing!! I also love that bread...so I will have to try the recipe!! Love your blog just found it a week ago through a cousins blog..keep up the great blogging!!

Leila said...

I never heard of these! Yours look yummy! Do they really taste pineapple-y?
I'm all astonishment!

Meagan said...

Oh yum! We all love those rolls, too. I'll have to give this recipe a try soon. Thanks for sharing! Have a safe and wonderful trip to Colorado!

Rachel said...

Can you let us know exactly waht you mean by mashed potatoes (instant, already made, just instant potato mix not cookedor actual mashed potatoes)
Thanks and Merry Christmas
Rachel

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your restful, exciting trip! I'll pray for safe travels and a wonderful time.

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Rachel,

The recipe just said "mashed potatoes" so I interpreted this my own way. I made fresh real mashed potatoes and added them to the bread. I am assuming that instant would work - but I have not tried it!

Monica

Anonymous said...

These look soooo good! I am writting this down and making them with my New Years black eye peas. YUMMMMMY! I will do the milk and pineapple like you said. I hope these turn out for me. I have never had much success with rolls. Wish you could come help me, you seem to have a gift for baking. Pray for me, I usually make hockey pucks. Many smiles, Angie in TX

Madonna said...

I can't wait to try this recipe. I love those King Hawaiian Sweet Rolls. Sometimes I buy them to eat just as a snack. I had never seen a recipe for them other than in a bread machine using the mix. I guess if I had been thinking I would have looked online but I am glad to have found this on your blog now. I will be trying these out on Saturday.