Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Farm Chicks Cookbook!

You know that I've long been a fan of The Farm Chicks and was so thrilled to receive an advance copy of their new cookbook coming out in April!

Whenever I agree to do a review of something - I always want to give it my very best. I apologized in advance to Teri and Serena for how long it took me to get around to doing this - but I wanted to have a great post to write on their book and experience it for myself!

One evening, we tried the Pumpkin Waffles!!! We all loved them!

I hadn't seen lots of friends in a while due to being gone so long for Christmas and most of January, so decided to host a little Open House for them to stop in and sample some goodies while catching up with one another! The plates were stacked and the kettle was on for tea:

I made mini chocolate chip shortbread, Oatmeal Cookies, Maple Oat Scones and Spicy Camp Bars (thanks for making these, Melissa!) and had a friend for lunch in the middle where we had Elaine's Chicken Salad and Bruschetta Salad!

Everything was delicious! The scones were the most popular and the shortbread was a close second! I like the Camp Bars as is, but a couple of friends mentioned they'd love them without the chocolate chips. Either way - it was such a yummy food day! We enjoyed visiting with friends in addition!

I love this cookbook because it is full of recipes I can't wait to try. I love homemade goodies and farmhouse cooking and this cookbook fills that bill! Not only that, but there are some wonderful craft projects included in the book that I can't wait to try. What a wonderful accomplishment, Teri and Serena! Thanks so much for sharing your book with me!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dishes are lovely, the food looks great and the cookbook sounds wonderful!!! I know the ladies enjoyed your sweet hopitality and fellowship!tammyp

Anonymous said...

MMMMM Yummy!! Looks like some wonderful food and that a wonderful time was had by all. I sure do wish they would invent scratch and sniff computer screens ;)

Melissa said...

The food was delicious, and so was the company. Thank you for letting me browse through the cookbook - it's definitely one I would love to have. The chicken salad and chocolate chip shortbread were my favorite. Thank you for all your hard work and willingness to open your home! You are such a gracious hostess!

Wendi said...

What a fun way to sample goodies from the book and enjoy the company of good friends!

Mrs. J said...

looks so yummy!

*carrie* said...

It was such a fun idea to review these recipes via an open house, Monica! Wish I could've popped in.

Unknown said...

Aww, man! I've checked out like 3 of my favorite blogs this morning and they all have delicious food for posts! YOU ALL ARE MAKING ME SO HUNGRY! Looks great, Monica! Good job! I will have to check out that book...thanks!
:)

BLESSINGS!

Amy said...

Everything sounds delicious. They are supposed to be sending me a copy and now I am all excited now that I saw these recipes. They even agreed to do my podcast so I am super pumped. I learned about the Farm Chicks from you and I am totally hooked. What a wonderful and thoughtful review, Monica!

Tami said...

It sounds like a great cookbook and the food looks delicious.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the day was a tasty treat. The preparation and beauty you put into such moments is a blessing to so many. The details...lovely simply white dishes, clear containers full of homemade goodness and the friendship you offer from opening your home and heart. That certainly adds to this wonderful food. I would love to try some of these recipes (and craft ideas). I agree with your sister Carrie....I would of loved to pop in too. Smiles, Angelia in TX

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Ok.. I am definitely getting this cookbook. Love how you had an open house, and the presentation in your photo's is really nice.
Amy

e.m. said...

Thanks for lettig us know =:)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Monica for all of your time and effort put into the review! We're humbled and wish we could have joined you and all of your sweet friends! Thanks again, Teri

Elise said...

Man, why don't I know you in real life?!?! Everything looks delicious!!
Can't wait for the book!!
Elise

joyh82 said...

Thanks for the review. I will add this to my list of ever growing library reserves!

Anonymous said...

Everything sounds delish! If I ate those things, I'd be as big as a house.

By the way, great anniversary picture. You should be so proud you can still wear your dress after 3 children.

Anonymous said...

What a fun way to try recipes from this new cookbook! Everything looks wonderful -- like several others have commented, I wish I could have been there to share in the fun and tasting! :) Love, Mom

Kim @ Home Is Where The Heart Is said...

I am so very excited for this book to come out!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Farm Chicks! These recipe's look delicious, I can't wait to get my copy of their book. Their antique show is a blast and one of a kind. Thanks for the review!!

Monica said...

I just found your blog via The Farm Chicks. Your reviews of their recipes are making me hungry!! I will have to take a look around and see what other fun things you have posted.

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

Okay, your goodies look to delicious, but those plates are calling my name! Love your blog and will visit again & again...it's very welcoming.

Ruth said...

Everything looks amazing!!! I am sure everyone enjoyed themselves.
Ruth

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great cookbook! I'll have to put it on my wishlist.