Monday, February 16, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Good morning! I hope you all had a great weekend with those you love -

Our little family had lots of sickness floating around - so we were all feeling a bit puny. But, we did manage to have fun together on Saturday just laying around, watching movies, snuggling and eating lots of heart shaped foods!

Emily and Rachel were feeling particularly low - so they began the day snuggled up in the kitchen while I made breakfast!

I made heart shaped pink pancakes with sprinkles, strawberries and pink milk. We read Biscuit's Valentine and 1 Corinthians 13:

At the little ladies places was a cute new dress I found on Target clearance after Christmas:

Samuel enjoyed his pancake too!

For lunch, I had planned heart shaped pasta - but the girls were not up to that, they wanted toast. So - I made heart shaped cinnamon toast instead! David brought me these beautiful roses and I had fun arranging them in a thrifted vase!

I had thought about having a candlelight dinner and moving our table in front of the fireplace, getting all dressed up and having a very formal and fancy dinner in the evening. But, since we weren't feeling well, I skipped the dressing up and formal part - but still moved that table for a cozy candlelight dinner in front of the fire.

The little ladies had small princess Valentine's at their places and we enjoyed the beautiful roses! I made pizza with heart shaped pepperoni just like we had done last year and planned to open some special chocolates for dessert, but we skipped that part and just let them enjoy their princess Valentine candy.

It was a good day and I think everyone is feeling a little better now! We also had a little Valentine tea party on Friday morning all set up for Grandma when she came over to watch the girls while I went to lunch with a friend:

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! When the children are gone, you could go into business as an event planner!

Katy said...

Despite the sick bugs flying through your home...it looks like it was a fun Vday weekend! :) I love how you make all those times so special! :)

Unknown said...

I just cannot get over how precious Rachel's smile is. Love those closed eyes!

Once again, you have turned a simple holiday into a day of fun for your little ones. Everything looks so great!

Christi said...

What a fun mama you are!

Wendi said...

Sweet! I was/am feeling under the weather so our Valentine plans were pretty much cancelled. I did spend the day with two people I love most and that is what is important! I love the way Rachel smiles. She has "cheese" written all over her face!

*carrie* said...

Everything looks so cute, Monica--you definitely found your inspiration, and good job being flexible since the girls weren't feeling well.

Elise said...

What a fun day!! Love all the fun touches and the dinner in front of the fire!! I am thinking I am going to celebrate Valentines with my family today since my children were out of town.
Love your little hearts on springs.
Elise

Mom2Drew said...

Oh man...you are a trooper! Despite the sickies, you still managed to make it memorable. My hat is off to you:)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day you made it. Inspite of illness!!! So beautiful yet not over the top, great balance and blessing Monica!!! You are an inspiration to me <3 tammyp

Amy said...

The dresses are darling and I love your spread. What a great idea to move the table near the fireplace. You always have me wishing we had one of those :) Heart shaped pepperonis are wonderful- love it!! ((hugs))

Mary Ann said...

Looks cute and fun! Love the picture of Samuel sinking into his high chair. How's the quick-sand cushion working for him?!? LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the matching dresses and especially the tea party idea! I managed heart-shaped sandwiches for lunch, but like how you carried the theme all through the day.

Julie Ball said...

Aww, what a "sweet" day you gave your family! You are inspiring me to be a more creative mommy. I hope everyone at your house is feeling better now!

Me said...

Monica,

Those little people of yours just warm my heart!

Thank you for posting your fun activities. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't usually comment, but this time I just had to. Everything looked great. I also always thought your older daughter looks just like you, but next to her dad I realise she looks a lot like him. What a cute family.

Amy

angie said...

Looks like the heart shaped pepperoni became a tradition! Is there an easy way to make those?
I love the dresses you found for the girls...especially since they were on clearance. I found a Minnie Mouse shirt for my daughter on Target clearance. I am holding it in hopes of a Disney trip later this year.
Hope all are feeling better in your home. We all have some degree of a cold.

Unknown said...

Very fun, Monica! :-)

Joy said...

You had some really sweet decorations and extras that made things look so special ~~ wish I would have seen your inspiring pics before Valentine's Day!!!! I'll have to jot down some notes for next year. I enjoy your blog. :)

Wife of Rob said...

Monica....I LOVE holidays at your house. I love how you make everything SO special for everyone involved. I can't wait to have some little ones here and stay at home. I love doing all of those sorts of things! Happy belated Valentines!

Blessings,
Jen

TheFiveDays said...

You obviously are a dedicated, loving mom...so much put into a special day even when you all weren't feeling well. Your family is blessed (and adorable!)!

Anonymous said...

Hope everyone is feeling better by now! I was remembering being there for Valentine's Day last year. :) Everything looks special -- Love, Mom

DairyQueen said...

very sweet!