Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Living with Discipline 4

Who oversees the training I require?

I have lived most of my life in places with a strong military presence. Growing up, we visited the Air Force Academy with lots of out of town company and would tour the visitors center learning what life was like for those who lived there. We'd see cadets out training and walking in formation and I'd wonder what life was really like for those who chose that walk. We could gain a lot from thinking about the disciplines of the military in thinking of our training in discipline.

Serving our country requires everything that a man or woman can give. It is physically and mentally challenging, and requires great training and discipline.

When I think of a young recruit just beginning the military journey - my mind immediately thinks "Boot Camp" - an intense training program designed to help create a disciplined member of this country's military. One who will follow directions, be dedicated and hard working, take orders and be committed to what they have signed up for not just for the short term but for the long haul.

These training exercises are overseen by Drill Instructors (a job I would never want and one that seems taxing to the very extreme) who ensure that those under them are trained properly and will contribute to the overall good of those they will be serving with.

Carrying this analogy on just a bit more - it is though I am in spiritual boot camp with God as my drill instructor. He is the one who has laid this burden on my heart and shown me the things that need to change - now He is the one who will carry it on to His desired goal.
Philippians 1:6, "... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
I have responsibilities to carry out as He shows me what to do and how to follow. But, the leadership is His. Attempting to take this on myself completely would simply be setting myself up for failure.
Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength."
Lord,

Thank You for showing me my weaknesses in the area of discipline. Please oversee every step of realizing I need to grow in this area. I want to be in your army and be a true and pure witness for You. Boot camp does not sound easy or really even fun - but thank You for giving me the strength to do it and the desire to be made more holy.

It is in Your Name I pray and for Your glory,
Amen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up near a miltary base. Where my mother actually taught school on the base. The fact that you used them as an example in the manner you have done so was indeed inspired. I enjoyed this post so much.

Nicol said...

Beautiful post! You are such an inspiration to me (creative and spiritual!)

I have a blog award for you. Come on over to get it!

Elise said...

Good analogy, for sure. And, indeed, it is impossible to do many things without God's guidance and help. We can try, but it would be a train wreck.
Elise

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I meet in highschool in JROTC then He was in the Army for the first 6 years of our marriage. You really brought to mind many pondering thoughts about a heart of discipline and how much I want that drive to follow through, actively live out and say yes Sir to God, on all God calls me to do. Thank you Monica. "WHO'RRA"!!!! Is that a Military way to say
"YES LORD"

These thoughts inspire a vision of Jesus pushing me up over that wall. Thank you Lord.

smiles, Angelia in TX

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Monica, it's been awhile since I've commented, though I read faithfully. We have two sons in the military, one goes to the Air Force Academy and one goes to the Military Academy at West Point. You're right...the discipline is something to be admired and practiced in our own lives.

betty said...

Hi Monica! I love your blog! I award your blog with the creativ blogger award! Take a look at my blog, place the picture and nominate 5 others... :)
BICOS from Spain

Jessica said...

Hi Monica ~
Thanks for your inspiring posts on discipline. Boy, did I need to hear it. I just posted about an area that I really need discipline in (going to bed on time and getting up on time). Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness!