Friday, February 06, 2009

Simple Skirts!

I've had this cute and easy (and FREE!) pattern from Oliver + S bookmarked for quite some time and have been anxious to try it! While in Colorado, I let each of the little ladies pick out 1/2 yard of fabric to become their skirt.

I made three of these in about an hour and a half - so yes, they are very easy! I did have a mix up on what width of ribbon was required so ended up omitting the ribbon on my girls skirts.

Emily chose Strawberry Shortcake after the disappointment of not finding Cinderella fabric!


Rachel's fabric is so fun cheery and just reminds me of her personality:


Emily is invited to a little Valentine tea party tomorrow and since they don't want us to bring anything, I really wanted to bring a little hostess gift to her friend. I toyed with several ideas - but in the end made her a skirt as well. With a couple of fun embellishments, this one may be my favorite!


These little skirts are perfect for easy on-easy off play and will be perfect when it gets scorching around here this summer. Emily has already asked for another one - so I imagine we'll be making a few more. Good thing they are so simple!

24 comments:

Katy said...

How adorable Monica! :) I love them! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern. I cannot wait to try to make them for my girls! Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Lisa

Kisha said...

Ah such a cute reason to hope for girls someday. Those are adorable.

Heather said...

Adorable! Thanks for linking to the pattern. (I love how the ribbon takes the place of the bottom hem in it.)

Me said...

How fun, Monica! What a great hostest gift as well!

Mandy said...

That is so cute. How did you make the flower?

Anonymous said...

These all turned out very cute -- thanks for sharing photos! Love, Mom

Aubrey said...

Super cute. I had seen this pattern and now really want to make a few for my niece!

Mom2Drew said...

Darling. I would love to see pictures of them on the girls. Wonder what they'd look like with leggings on underneath. dressing girls is just too much fun, so many possibilities. Another thing to save for when I dust off my sewing machine and learn how to use it.

Elise said...

I want one!! :)
Those are so adorable!! I think Lilly would like these!! I have also been wanting to make her some ruffled skirts.
Elise

Katie @ Domestic Debacle said...

These are so cute! I'm very new to sewing, so I can't wait to try this pattern!

Sadie said...

Those are really sweet!!


Here are a few more skirt patterns/tutorials that I have bookmarked:

http://thornberry.wordpress.com/2008/11/16/cup-day-skirt-tutorial/

http://grandrevivaldesign.typepad.com/photos/ruffled_skirts_tutorial/skirts4000.html

http://goingsewcrazy.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/08/twirly-skirts-a.html

http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/05/patchwork-circle-skirt.html

being molded said...

They are adorable, Monica.

Unknown said...

Too cute! I want to try this one!

Wendi said...

Cute skirts! Glad to hear that they were simple to make. I bought a sewing machine today and am looking forward to all the cute things I can make!

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

So cute! I love the one you made as a hostess gift. Blessings,
Joy

angie said...

These will be so breezy and effortless for your girls this summer.
I have all the ingredients:
little girl who loves to dress up+sewing machine still in its box+fabric bought on clearance-no clue how to sew= no hope of making these adorable skirts.

Monica Wilkinson said...

The flower on the skirt is a simple yo-yo with a button sewn on in the middle. You can Google yo-yo how to for simple instructions!

Sugarcoma said...

Oh my goodness, those are so cute! Emily sounds like my little Tommi. Cinderella, Strawberry Shortcake...

Thanks for sharing these. They look easy enough even for me to try!

Pamela said...

Really Cute! I just started sewing and I think this is a project I could handle!

Shannon said...

These are darling! I left you a little award over at my place:)

Amie said...

Hmm, Idea for the Rusty robin?

~katie~ said...

You are inspiring! I really want to try these and other sewing projects now!! I've been thinking on the modest/feminine/comfortable/frugal clothes issue again and hope to be doing more posts soon. Do you have any in the works like last year? :-)

Paula said...

OH I LOVE the last one too! LOVE the yo-yo embellishment!! SO CUTE!!!