Friday, December 10, 2010

Waiting Gracefully: Pray


I'm sorry these have been so spread out - but I have a few thoughts left to drop in here and there.

I should have had this as the very first thing! Prayer. It seems that so often I say, "All I can do is pray." as if that is not enough - when it is more than enough and should be my first thought! It is the very BEST thing I can do while waiting on God!

Pray for His direction, for His guidance.

Pray for your future husband. I had a copy of The Power of a Praying Wife. I used to make a tally mark in the back of the book every time I finished praying through the whole thing and then I would start it again. I just prayed each of the things for my future husband. I loaned that book out a few years ago and never got it back - I do have another copy, but I am sorry not to have the one with my tally marks in it.

Pray over your prospects. I prayed that God would prevent me from anything that was not in His will. I turned down requests to dinner or out for coffee if I did not feel God's blessing in that direction. Sometimes, this was really hard. But, I continued to pray that He would lead me and I was thankful for all the ways He showed me and guided me.

I will share one time being asked to dinner by a friend of a mutual friend. I really wanted to go and I prayed about it as I had committed to do. I did not have God's peace and knew that it was not what God wanted for me. In the past when I had declined for not having God's blessing, I was met with some less than favorable responses. But, in this particular case - the gentleman was so gracious. His response blessed me so much and it was the only time I was met with a response like that. We never had contact again after that - but wow, did it impress and bless me and is still a sweet reminder of God's care.

We could bring these thoughts into our lives at any time and in any place.

Prayer.

Seeking God.

Graciously responding to one another.

Praying even now that my children will seek God above all else, even my opinion. He is worthy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent word fro the Lord, Monica!

Lee said...

This is wonderful. I wish I would have done more of this when I was single. I remember sporatically praying, but I wish I would have been more focused on the goal. Something I need to remind both my children to do in the future.