Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Apple Picking!

We recently had the privilege of going with a couple from church on an overnight trip to North Carolina to pick apples! I hadn't picked apples in nearly a decade so it was VERY exciting for me to be able to take my children to this fun family experience!

We took all our own food and had lots of picnics - plus I made these fun cookies which looked cute in a fun jar from my friend Grace!

We stayed at a lodge only a few minutes from the orchard - it had a lake in the middle of the buildings. And, after a few hours in the car, my littles were glad for the space to run around! The only unfortunate thing is that Samuel lost a screw and lens to his glasses during all of this running around which were never found.

The next morning, the lakeside dock was a perfect place for our breakfast! Mmmm, hot tea and scones were yummy on a cool morning.


After breakfast, it was time to go apple-picking!


Oh, I just loved everything! When I opened the car door - I could just smell all the apples in the air!

After we picked our apples, we had fun tasting an apple-cider donut, playing in all the little playhouses, taking a hayride and enjoying the beautiful scenery!

Loading all of our apples up, we calculated that we had picked over 200 pounds! Between us and the couple we went with, we both picked some for others who requested apples too - so we had quite a load of apples. But, it was so fun!

I also picked grapes - but that is for another post! Now, I'm already looking forward to going back again next year! Maybe we could organize an overnight field trip for our homeschool friends!

I can't wait for Fall!

18 comments:

Bonnie said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I'm sure the fact that is was cool enough to wear jackets also helped set the mood : )
To bad about Samuel's glasses-does he tend to take his glasses off one handed? If so, try to have him use both hands, one handed will loosen the screw up in no time. (my little guy has that same navy polo!)
Looking forward to hearing about the grapes!

LynnMarie said...

What fun you had and you got grapes as well!

Anonymous said...

Love it! What a fun homeschool field trip that would be!;) ChristyS.

Michelle said...

Ah, apple-picking! That was a favorite activity signaling the start of fall when I was little, growing up in New England! This has inspired me to post about nostalgia on my own blog.... I miss fall! (We're in Florida now.)

Lisa @ Simply Things Family said...

What a fun time! We live in St. Louis, and I guess I take it for granted that we can pick apples every year. The weather look fall-ish. How nice! What a treat to go with some friends. That always makes a good memory for the children.

Wendi said...

Picking apples is so much fun! That orchard is at a beautiful location. A school field trip is planned in a couple of weeks and we are suppose to see how apples are packed for shipping. I am excited to see behind the scenes.

Chris said...

We are fortunate to live just an hour from Sky Top and it has become a fall tradition for us. I am planning a visit in the next couple of weeks. I can hardly believe it is time for apples again!

*carrie* said...

The pictures are wonderful. So glad you had such a fun time! Maybe we'll be able to try an orchard this year. I did look on-line after we talked, and there's one an hour away, but most of their apples aren't ready yet!

bretswife1 said...

Please share the lodge name. I think I am minutes from there. Maybe we could join your home school group when you come back.

Char in MT. Airy

Blissful & Domestic said...

What a fun day for your littles and you. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. Always so beautiful!

Mary Ann said...

Looks fun! I've been to Sky Top; used to live not too far from there!

I know a lot of folks who frequent Justice Orchards in that area. An unsolicited tip: MacAbee's roadside stand right alongside I-26 in Hendersonville (Frontage Rd.) often have bags of seconds very inexpensively. I like to get my applesauce apples there every year either when we go to the mountains or my sister's family makes their yearly pilgrimage!

Annie said...

What fun! We're doing this soon, and I, too, just picked my first round of grapes last week. I also take my family raspberry picking in the summer.

Enjoy your bounty!

angie said...

Picking fruit, inclcuding apples, is something we are blessed to do in our immediate area. But I never tire of it or take it for granted. I agree--you can smell the fruit in the air! When we went to our lake club last week, I noticed that the farm market that borders the lake property had honeycrisps ripe and ready to be picked. That is our new favorite apple variety. What was the red contraption Emily was holding in one of the pictures?

Aubrey said...

I LOVE Sky Top Orchard!! Flat Rock is one of our most favorite day trips from where we live. I hope you stopped at the Flat Rock Village Bakery - so much delicious bread and brick oven pizza. We've got to plan our trip to pick apples soon....

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Char - I think it was called Mill House Lodge. Does that sound right?

Jen said...

I think it's time for a Scone Recipe post!!! ;) Those look delicious!!!

Caroline said...

This is one of our all time favorite day trips. We lived in Greenville for 10 years and our in laws still live there! One our favorite anniversary trips was to the Highland Lake Inn- that's where you were? Thanks for sharing- can't make the trip this year now that we live in Southern Illinois!!

Mom said...

What fun!! I'm so glad to see these photos of your fun apple picking and would love to this with you sometime! :) Love you, Mom