Thursday, September 22, 2011

Avonlea for Little Ladies

You may remember my Autumn in Avonlea parties that I've had in the past?! Each Fall this seems to be something to look forward to and enjoy planning! This year, my friend Melissa and I decided it might be fun to do something with our little ladies and one little gentleman.

She was in charge of Mama-food and I was in charge of Little-food! She made a delicious lunch of quiche, pumpkin bisque, tea punch and cheese muffins! I made little shaped cheese and crackers, mini shaped peanut butter and honey sandwiches, grapes, sparkling grape juice and pretty desserts.

It was an unexpectedly busy weekend - so I had to think of ways to simplify. Normally for a party like this, I have planned and prepared and made things for weeks. This was really pulled off very last minute. We've had it planned, but I just haven't had time to do as much as I would've like ahead.

The little shaped foods were super easy to do with sliced cheese and a loaf of bread. I visited our favorite grocery store bakery for the pretty desserts.

Table decorations were very simple too. I hollowed out a few apples for holding flowers and tea lights and that was it!

After lunch, we started watching the movie - Anne of Green Gables. We did not watch the whole thing straight through. Melissa and I had decided in advance that there were certain parts we were not ready for our little eyes to see, so we did skip a few parts and plus we knew they would not be able to enjoy it for THREE hours!

We broke up our time watching with trying on this cute Anne-hat that she had! And, I found these cute Anne coloring books for each of the girls.

Our afternoon was a success! And, all the children had fun! Samuel did not join us for the entire time - but was in and out. Now, I can't wait to show them Anne of Avonlea! It feels fun to have introduced my girls to Anne!

15 comments:

Leanne said...

how fun! I love the pic of you and your littles!! I also love the centerpiece on the table!

Wendi said...

The centerpiece is adorable! I love how simple it is. Looks like lots of fun!

Mom said...

Just lovely! :)
Love you, Mom

angie said...

Sometimes we enjoy the impromptu celebrations more than those that we have labored over.
I never knew that apples floated! I guess the day in science when we discovered "float or sink." What a simple, yet eye-catching centerpiece.
Hanna and I are on the last Little House book for read aloud. Next in the stack is Anne of Green Gables.

~katie~ said...

So thrilled to see the Avonlea tradition continue ~ what a charming event for all! Blessings to all of you!

anegla said...

Oh I LOVE Anne.

Lisa @ Simply Things Family said...

How sweet! And how great to have a friend with the same interests as you to throw this party.

Elise @A Path Made Straight said...

Oh, Monica, I love this idea! I have two sisters-in-law, and we each have one girl and three boys, so I think this would be a lovely party idea for us! May I borrow? :)

I don't know if you've heard of it (you probably have), but the Girlhood Home Companion magazine (from Remembrance Press) usually has lovely paper doll pages for you to print off and play with. One issue had Anne and Diana as well as some outfits- my girl loves them!

Also, this pop-up dollhouse from Amazon is one of her favorite rainy day, sick day, really any day activities. I loved the movies as a younger girl, but I am definitely waiting (she's only 5) until she's older to share them with her, too. I think you and your friend are very wise!

Thank you for sharing the beauty in your life- it makes me look harder for the beauty in mine- but it's not really hard at all, is it? :)

Blessings,
Elise

South Girl in the West said...

what a precious idea! wish i had little girls to have this party with, yet i am blessed with 3 wonderful little men! guess i need to think of a movie & party idea for little guys! thanks for the inspiration!

Meems said...

Hi Monica, I wanted to thank you for the Breakfast for dinner you gave to my family today! We loved it! Heather invited me to your Blessings Party next Thursday. Would you mind emailing me your address. My email is melissamill@yahoo.com

*carrie* said...

Cute! That Anne hat is classic.

Remembering our Avonlea party and having to buy baby food squash! =)

Melissa said...

What a special day! Everything was wonderful - we are still talking about all things Anne. Thank you for hosting our Avonlea party!!!

Amanda said...

Looks like fun!!!

Jthemilker said...

What a grand idea! I love this!

Lauren(in Savannah) said...

I bet the kids will remember this day always. Looked like lots of fun and the hat was precious!

Monica, I emailed you a book suggestion that I think you will really like. I hope you got the email....